What's crisis contraception?
Crisis contraception can avoid maternity after unsafe sex or should your contraceptive method has failed – for instance, a condom has split or you've missed a supplement.
There are 2 types:
- The emergency contraceptive tablet (often called the after pill morning)
- The IUD (intrauterine unit, or coil)
There's two forms of crisis contraceptive tablet. Levonelle needs to be studied within 72 hours (3 days) of intercourse, and ellaOne has got to be used within 120 hours (five times) of intercourse. Both pills work by preventing or ovulation that is delayinglaunch of an egg). Crisis contraception is better taken as quickly as possible to work.
The IUD could be placed to your womb as much as five days after non-safe sex, or as much as five times following the time that is earliest you might have ovulated. It might stop an egg from being fertilised or implanting in your womb.
Crisis contraception doesn't force away sexually transmitted infections (STIs).
Crisis contraception self-help gu Find away more info on ways to get crisis contraception and where you'll get it.
At a glance: factual statements about emergency contraception
- Both kinds of crisis contraception work well at preventing maternity if they're utilized right after unsafe sex. Significantly less than 1% of females whom utilize the IUD have a baby, whereas pregnancies following the crisis contraceptive capsule are never as unusual. It’s believed that ellaOne works more effectively than Levonelle.
- The earlier you are taking Levonelle or ellaOne, the greater amount of effective it will be.
- Levonelle or ellaOne could make you're feeling ill, dizzy or tired, or provide a hassle, tender breasts or pain that is abdominal.
- Levonelle or ellaOne will make your duration earlier in the day or later than usual.
- If you’re sick (vomit) within couple of hours of taking Levonelle, or three hours of using ellaOne, seek medical advice because you will need to take another dosage or have an IUD fitted.
- By using the IUD as crisis contraception, it may be kept in as the regular contraceptive technique.
- If you utilize the IUD as a consistent approach to contraception, it may make your durations much longer, heavier or even more painful.
- You might feel some vexation if the IUD is place in – painkillers can help alleviate this.
- There are not any severe s pill<